Saturday, October 20, 2007

Body Worlds exhibit

Saw the Body Worlds exhibit today at the St. Louis Science Center.

On display were a number of "whole body plastinates" -- entire human bodies that have been preserved by replacing bodily fluids and fat with "reactive fluid plastics." Also on display were preserved individual organs and transparent body "slices." Both healthy and unhealthy bodies and organs were displayed.

This experience was quite educational and enlightening. I learned much about the inner workings of the human body -- organs, nervous system, bones/skeleton, muscle, skin and so on. I also speculated on my own body and how I'm treating it.

I highly recommend this exhibit, which runs through March 2 at the St. Louis Science Center. Rent the optional audio guide -- it offers a lot of additional insight that wasn't on the printed displays.

No comments: