Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Showing respect for Scooter

A friend of mine shared the following thinking with me, and I asked her permission to further share it. I thought it was really touching and insightful:
Just remember that you loved Scooter and when you lose a loved one, you grieve. I think people do not give themselves permission to grieve for animals. You get told "It's just a dog" and you end up feeling strange because it impacts you emotionally. But your grief shows respect for Scooter and her place in your life. It would be far sadder to die and have no one grieve.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I totally and completely agree. Why on Earth do we have our dogs? To care for them. To have companionship. To have them love us. And they do, unconditionally. It's only right that we do the same in return.