Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"We spend too much time hiding illness"

Two thumbs up for Roger Ebert!

The Chicago Sun-Times film critic and co-host of "Ebert & Roeper" plans to make his first public appearance since last summer when he went into surgery to remove cancer in his jaw. As he explains on his web site, Roger will be attending the 9th annual Overlooked Film Festival (aka Ebertfest) later this week, despite some facial disfigurement.

But what really stood out to me were his words of strength and inspiration:
I have received a lot of advice that I should not attend the Festival. I'm told that paparazzi will take unflattering pictures, people will be unkind, etc. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. As a journalist I can take it as well as dish it out...

I have been very sick, am getting better and this is how it looks. I still have my brain and my typing fingers...

We spend too much time hiding illness. There is an assumption that I must always look the same. I hope to look better than I look now. But I'm not going to miss my Festival...

1 comment:

Amy said...

I read a story about him on CNN yesterday and thought about you (my own personal movie/theatre critic-friend!). Good for him. I hate to say this -- but I kind of thought he had already died. (EEK!)